Yes! The Kegtron app is designed to run on any device running iOS 10 or later. This includes:
- iPhone 5 and later
- iPod Touch (6th gen and later)
- iPad (4th gen and later)
- iPad Mini 2 and later
- iPad Air (all models)
- iPad Pro (all models)
Yes! The Kegtron app is designed to run on Android phones or tablets using our app available on the Google Play Store. To see if your device will work, please verify the following three requirements:
- Make sure your device is Certified Android by checking this supported devices list. This is especially important for generic / no-name brands.
- Android OS must be version 6.0 (marshmallow) or later
- Device hardware must support Bluetooth 4.0 (aka BLE) or later
No. All of your critical keg data is stored safely within the keg monitor hardware. If you reinstall the app, you’ll only need to set your serving size and detailed description (if desired). Keg name, size and dispense stats are always saved on the keg monitor itself.
At this time, keg info is only available via our Android and iOS apps running on respective phones or tablets. While you can’t natively project using an HDMI dongle (e.g. Amazon Fire TV stick or Chromecast), you can use a dedicated tablet as your display. Older tablets with a suitable mounting bracket can work well for this purpose.
Please visit our shop for pricing details.
Yes! The following sizes are pre-loaded:
- Corny – 5 gal
- Half-corny – 2.5 gal
…but you can always add your own custom size.
Yes! The following standard commercial sizes are pre-loaded:
- Full (half barrel) – 15.5 gal
- Pony (quarter barrel) – 7.75 gal
- Sixth barrel – 5.16 gal
- Full – 50L
- Pin – 40.9L
- Firkin – 20.5L
…and you can always add your own custom size.
There is no hard limit to the number of Kegtron devices you can monitor. The Kegtron app scans and monitors any and all active devices. Our unique monitoring method is not restricted by conventional chipset and/or OS limitations that would otherwise limit other simultaneous wireless connections.
That in mind, you can start small and grow your setup later knowing the app will scale with you.
Yes! Kegtron works great for beers dispensed with CO2, pure nitrogen or CO2/nitrogen blends (i.e. beer gas). Whatever your setup, make sure your lines are balanced to ensure a good pour.
Most any kegged beverage will work just fine. Examples include:
- Cold brew coffee
- Pre-mixed cocktails
- Craft sodas
- Carbonated water
Whatever you pour, make sure there is no solid matter (e.g. fruit, spices, hops, etc.) that could clog the flow sensor.
Typically your phone/tablet can interact with your Kegtron hardware from a distance of 15 – 50′ (5-15m). Of course, everyone’s setup is unique and this is just an estimate. Your mileage may vary.
Yes, very cool. Cold even.
Kegtron is designed to sit in the same fridge (e.g. kegerator, keezer, walk-in cooler) as your kegs. This ensures that your beverage lines stay at the same temperature as the keg to prevent foaming and/or spoilage.
Yes. The Kegtron enclosure is a special splash-resistant case that protects the internal electronics from humidity and liquids. We know it can get messy in a brew fridge (looking at you, homebrewers!).
Please note there is a difference between “splash-resistant” and “waterproof”. Please don’t try to find that dividing line!
The keg monitor hardware is powered by a very lower-power AC/DC wall adapter. A very thin cable is passed inside the fridge to each keg monitor. A 6′ (2m) cable is included to make it easy. Expansion units include a splitter cable so you only need a single power source and a single wire into your fridge.
Here’s how it works:
- When you first connect your keg, you tell it the starting size. This is typically the same size as the keg itself, but you can setup a custom starting volume.
- As you pour drinks, the Kegtron hardware monitors the flow of liquid out of the keg and keeps a running tab of the dispensed and remaining volume.
- When your keg is empty and a new one is connected, just reset the volume via the app.
No. The keg monitors are powered by an included AC/DC wall adapter. A thin, long (6’/2m) cable runs from the power adapter to you keg monitor(s). Expansion units include a 2-way splitter cable so you can reuse a single power adapter for multiple keg monitors.
No. The internal processor stores your keg stats within internal nonvolatile flash memory. All of your data will be safe even it you unplug it or lose power. Keg stats can only be cleared from the Kegtron app.
Determining keg volumes can be done in multiple ways and there is no one right answer. Determining volume by weight is a legitimate method and can be used successfully. Our keg monitors use flow sensors for a few reasons:
- Physical Constraints – Placing our sensor inline allows the keg monitor to be physically placed where convenient vs. a scale which must be placed underneath a keg.
- Accuracy – Measurements are not influenced by different shell weights, keg coupler weights or whatever some guy stacked on top of your keg!
- Flexibility – Flow meter accuracy is independent of keg size and specific gravity of the beverage.
We have spent a good deal of effort to find a flow meter that was cost effective yet did not cause significant foaming.
That in mind, we strongly recommend you balance the lines on your kegerator to ensure everything pours nicely before you install Kegtron. We prepared this article to help you diagnose and solve foaming issues with your kegerator.
If you have a balanced setup before installing Kegtron we are confident that you will experience little to no additional foaming issues after installation.